AMD Treatment in Dover and Milford, DE, with Our Experienced Optometry Team at Vision Quest Eye Care Center
We invite you to come experience what individualized eye care looks like at Vision Quest Eye Care Center, with two convenient locations serving Dover and Milford, DE. For our optometry team, our goal is to optimize eye health at every stage of life and do what we can to prevent or control common eye health conditions, including one known as age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
What is Age-Related Macular Degeneration?
Age-related macular degeneration is a type of vision loss caused by gradual and progressive damage to a part of your eye called the macula.
The macula sits in the center of your retina, on the inside layer of the rear of your eye. You need your macula for things that require seeing in fine detail, such as reading, texting, or looking at a person's face.
There are two main types of AMD: wet and dry.
- Wet (exudative) AMD: this is the less-common form of AMD. It occurs when small and atypical blood vessels grow beneath the retinal surface, leak interstitial fluids into the surrounding area, and damage and scar the macula.
- Dry (atrophic) AMD: this type of AMD is more common, accounting for up to 90% of all cases. It occurs when white or yellow pigments called drusen grow beneath the retina and lead to progressive macular damage.
As its name implies, AMD's leading risk factor is advancing age. Other risk factors include a history of AMD in your family, smoking, obesity, and hypertension.
Signs and Symptoms of AMD
Signs and symptoms of AMD develop gradually, so you may not notice anything wrong with your vision until the condition has advanced considerably. The most common symptoms include:
- Blurry vision, especially in the center of the visual field
- Straight lines appearing distorted and wavy
- Increased sensitivity to glare
How Our Dover and Milford Eye Doctor Team Manages AMD
If you have concerns about AMD, we encourage you to connect with a Dover and Milford eye doctor. Our team can diagnose AMD through a variety of tests and measures and offer you strategies to optimize vision and control the progression of the disease. These strategies may include:
- Education and implementation of low vision techniques
- Prescription eyewear updates
- Nutritional recommendations, which may support eye health
- For wet type AMD, Anti-VEGF therapy may prevent leaky blood vessel growth
Concerned About Age-Related Macular Degeneration?
Looking for a family optometrist you can trust in Dover and Milford DE? Contact Vision Quest Eye Care Center at 302-424-9424 (Milford location) or 302-678-3545 (Dover location) and schedule your next eye exam.